Monday, April 26, 2010

my personal statement

Having majored in secondary education English(literature) as an undergraduate, I would now like to concentrate on British and American literature.

I am especially interested in nineteenth-century literature, women's literature, Anglo-Saxon poetry, and folklore and folk literature, as well as dark literature and some poetry. My personal literary projects have involved some combination of these subjects. The relationship between "good" and common folk literature became the subject for an essay i did before, which examined great artist of the time and their use of classical, biblical, African, and Afro-American folk tradition in their novels. artist suck as Keats and Wollstonecraft put their essence into their works and i plan on working more with these artist to explain ideas.

Writing poetry also figures prominently in my academic and professional goals. I have been writing poetry for a while since i was a child and i find it comes as second nature. The type of poetry in my collection are poems that draw from biblical, and traditional, as well as everyday experience,life and death, whether literal or figurative. My poetry draws from and influences my academic studies and my own life put on paper. Much of what I read and study finds a place in my creative work as subject. At the same time, I study the art of literature by taking part in the creative process, experimenting with the tools used others.

As far as a career i am looking for, I see myself teaching literature, writing news articles, and going into editing or publishing poetry. getting my doctorin would be valuable to me in several ways. First, being a teachers assistant would provide me with the practical teaching experience I am eager to acquire. Furthermore, getting my Ph.D. in English and American literature would advance my other two career goals by adding to my list,in both a critical and creative way when working with language. Ultimately, however, I see the Ph.D. as an end in itself, as well as a professional stepping stone that would take me to a new level of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment